Friday, July 10, 2009

A Top for Nadia

Nadia Buick, a fellow fashion PhD kid, is curating my upcoming solo show wearer/maker/wearer at the QUT Art Museum (19th August-13th September). She recently picked up a Dries Van Noten skirt from a local Vinnies for $12 (best $12 she ever spent!) and suggested I rework it for the show.

I didn't mess with it too much; I was careful not to destroy the drape, nor the beautiful construction (it was flared with a large number of asymetrically shaped panels). In the end I simply turned it upside down and released one of the panel seams part-way to make the v-shaped neckline, then joined the 'hem' across the arms and shoulders to make the batwing sleeves. I put in a few darts at the back neckline to fit it close to the upper back, though this needs re-working, as parts of the fabric have stretched here and it looks a little clumsy...

Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Dress for Tilds

This dress is made from a vintage silk skirt (bought second-hand about 10 years ago!) and a cotton sari blouse picked up during a trip to India. The fabrics are surprisingly complimentary; the printed motifs are of similar size, and the tonal quality of the colours seem to work well side-by-side.

I've been watching HBO's Rome lately - I think this accounts for the sudden bare-shouldered tasselled madness that overtook me while making this for Matilda! The skirt was originally a box-pleated number - I changed the shape to something closer to an A-line. The sari blouse was pulled apart completely and the panels re-arranged upside down to form the straight shapes across the neck and back. The blouse already had tassel-ties, but I made a few more to match from the excess skirt fabric.