Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Dress for Tilds

This dress is made from a vintage silk skirt (bought second-hand about 10 years ago!) and a cotton sari blouse picked up during a trip to India. The fabrics are surprisingly complimentary; the printed motifs are of similar size, and the tonal quality of the colours seem to work well side-by-side.

I've been watching HBO's Rome lately - I think this accounts for the sudden bare-shouldered tasselled madness that overtook me while making this for Matilda! The skirt was originally a box-pleated number - I changed the shape to something closer to an A-line. The sari blouse was pulled apart completely and the panels re-arranged upside down to form the straight shapes across the neck and back. The blouse already had tassel-ties, but I made a few more to match from the excess skirt fabric.

2 comments:

Matilda said...

hehehe! I love it! So gorgeous - have to think of styling for the shoot now! i especially love the tassels and the back is beautiful. will look lovely with my tattoos I think xxxxx

clare in paris said...

oh this is beeeeeuuuutiful. what perfect materials for each other.

cx