Sunday, June 6, 2010
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Nadia suggested that I make her something else as part of this PhD project. Since she is so lovely, I agreed. She gave me a beautiful old dress to re-work, and I made this apron.
The dress had tiny permanent knife pleats on the skirt section, which I kept. I separated the front of the skirt from the back, then joined both at the waistline to make the layered apron front. I shortened the top layer slightly, to show part of the underneath layer.
I completed this jacket a few months ago, but have been tardy with my blogging! This jacket was once a skirt - another $2 bargain found at the Esk markets. I unpicked it only to the point of separating the satin fabric of the waistband from the sheer outer skirt layer and cotton lining. I kept the broad satin waistband (decorated with lines of top-stitching) largely as it was found, only cutting it into rectangular segments for the jacket's back panel, shoulder straps and binding.
The sheer outer layer of the skirt became the rectangular kimono sleeves and the body of the jacket. I didn't end up using the cotton lining - will save it for another project.
I have been busy organising and running some recent photo shoots, to document the work for examination. I've collaborated with my brother Damian, again, for these portraits - they are an extension of the wearer/maker/wearer work. I hope to have the images up shortly...
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Thursday, April 1, 2010
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
This thing was made from some sari scraps left over from another project. My work experience kids - Bridgette and Felicity - helped cut the embroidered bits from these scraps, which I then patchworked together on the dummy. I also fused and stitched several layers of fusible interfacing onto the back. To finish, I used some of Carolyn's beads to make a fringe for the hanging end.
Friday, March 12, 2010
I like its current manifestation, so it'll probably stay like this for awhile! I love the print on this fabric. I re-cut the skirt section to reduce some bulk at the waist, and completely re-figured the front to make both a halter-necked cowl and a strappy wrapped thing for the upper half. I added the black jersey waistband and straps - scraps from another project. There is a zip at the side for the skirt section.
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Saturday, March 6, 2010
I had half-finished this dress a few years ago, and recently rediscovered it in my 'unfinished' pile. I can't remember exactly how it came about, but I have a feeling that some of the pattern shapes are the same as those used for Clare's tunic. I love reusing pattern shapes from previous garments, and assembling them on the dummy in new ways.
Friday, March 5, 2010
I made this top some time ago. It's slowly falling apart, but not just on account of my shoddy sewing! It was quite a raggedy old dress to start with - wearing thin in places, with seams pulling apart - but enjoyed it worn and comfortable, so never bothered with repairs. To make this top, I did much the same thing as for Nadia's - turned it upside down, and sewed along the hem to create batwing sleeves.
Thursday, March 4, 2010
This neckpiece, another item for Maddy, is made from more of the materials recently gifted to me. I dont' usually work with leather - on account of being a stinkin' vegan - but was given some lengths as part of Carolyn's donation, and was hesitant to throw them away. Some friends took some bundles off my hands, and the rest I played with over a few nights - leading to this fringed neckpiece.
It was strange handling something I was ethically unsure about! I'm not squeamish when it comes to animal bits, but this certainly was an interesting exercise in terms of the boundaries of my comfort zone... If it happens again that I am given animal products to work with, I'll probably donate it all to charity!
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
I dyed it a deep red colour, and used a light cotton (salvaged from one of my many remnant bins) for the lining. On the inside of the waistband I embroidered a special secret message.
Tuesday, March 2, 2010
I made the skulls a few years ago, and attached them to a skirt for a Mexican zombie party. They are made out of one of my grandma's old cross-stitched floral tablecloths. After the party, I unpicked the skirt and used a couple of them for other things, before putting them away in a safe place. Quite typically, I promptly forgot where that safe place was! Luckily, I stumbled over their faux-mouldy-awesomeness again recently (turns out I'd hidden them in a handbag).
To make the collar, I simply hand-stitched the skulls together, before attaching several layers of fusible interfacing to the back. I stitched the interfacing at the edges, to stop any lifting. It joins at the front with hooks and eyes.
Monday, March 1, 2010
I have accumulated a lot of acrylic felt over the years. I keep all my scraps, offcuts and failed experiments in a special red suitcase in my loungeroom. Many of the scraps are quite small, like little scales or feathers. Following this, I decided to make a special boa for my pal Marion.
It has a puppet at each end, for keeping hands warm. They are winged serpents, I think. Their heads are decorated with some beautiful glass beads, gifted to me recently by my friend Carolyn.