Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Jacket for Ma



I completed this jacket a few months ago, but have been tardy with my blogging! This jacket was once a skirt - another $2 bargain found at the Esk markets. I unpicked it only to the point of separating the satin fabric of the waistband from the sheer outer skirt layer and cotton lining. I kept the broad satin waistband (decorated with lines of top-stitching) largely as it was found, only cutting it into rectangular segments for the jacket's back panel, shoulder straps and binding.


The sheer outer layer of the skirt became the rectangular kimono sleeves and the body of the jacket. I didn't end up using the cotton lining - will save it for another project.


I have been busy organising and running some recent photo shoots, to document the work for examination. I've collaborated with my brother Damian, again, for these portraits - they are an extension of the wearer/maker/wearer work. I hope to have the images up shortly...

No comments: